Avoid The Homeowners Insurance Nightmare Of These 5 Poisonous Items In Your Home

Article Posted by Expert Author: adminhoig adminhoig  on 12/13/2013

Every day, over 2,000 people are treated in emergency departments for accidental poisoning. And a poison doesn't necessarily have to be something that has a skull and crossbones image on its package. A poison can be defined as anything that is harmful to the body if too much is ingested.

As a homeowner, it's your responsibility to ensure that you won't be held liable for any harm that may come to those who visit your property. Most home owners insurance plans expect you to maintain a certain level of safety in the home. But in addition to inspecting your driveway, deck and other outdoor areas to ensure that guests won't slip, you might also want to check things like your cupboards and that spot underneath your vehicle.

Not only are human residents of and visitors to a home at risk of accidental poisoning; the animals who live in and visit your home could just as easily become victims. Do you have these 5 poisons in your home?

Medications

Medications continue their reign as one of the most common household poisons. While most medication bottles are deemed to be child-safe, many homeowners underestimate the persistence and strong jaws of some household pets. A dog or cat can chew their way through many substances to get to something that smells or looks interesting.  If your guest brings their pet over, and it isn't feeling well, you may think about giving it an aspirin. But many accidental poisonings have occurred with pets in this manner. And keep in mind also that dogs can chew through any plastic child safety locks that you may have on your cupboards.

The "keep away from children' label on medication bottles is there for a reason; because there is enough medication in the bottle to seriously harm a child. Ask your guests to keep a close eye on their children at all times, but always ensure that all potentially-harmful substances are well out of reach.

Pest control

Did you recently rid your home of a common household pest? The substances used to do this could prove incredibly harmful to your visitors. Many treatments are spread on the lower surfaces of the home, such as along baseboards and underneath cupboards. Those of your visitors who spend much of their time close to the ground, such as babies and dogs could be at direct risk of inhaling or otherwise consuming dangerous pest control substances. Consider also that traces of these substances can remain on clothing and fur for long periods of time, which could mean additional ingestion.

Plants And Trees

The flora you have growing around your home may be beautiful, but they may also be deadly if consumed. While you can't be expected to replant your entire garden to suit specific visitors, you can do some research about what's growing in and around your home so you know about any potential health risks to the humans and animals who stay with you. And consider visiting your local greenhouse to get advice about the best non-poisonous plants for your zone.

Antifreeze

One of the most deadly substances can be found under the hood of your family vehicle: antifreeze. Your vehicle uses antifreeze to keep its radiator and engine from freezing and overheating, as well as for the lubrication of your vehicle's moving parts. But to animals and small children, it offers a colorful and sweet-smelling temptation that can prove to be extremely dangerous. Checking underneath your vehicle for leaks of any kind, and then carefully cleaning any pools of fluid will help to keep everyone safe.

Household Cleaners

We may use several chemicals on any given day in and around the home. Soap for the dishes, window cleaner, paint and lubricants are just a few of several examples. Leaving anything out in the open that can easily be accessed by children or pets is the quickest way to a potential lawsuit.

And although many household cleaners have the option of switching a spray bottle to the 'off' position, it doesn't take much for an animal or child to turn the indicator. Safely storing all potentially-dangerous household cleaners and other substances in a locking cabinet or closed garage door may help to keep curious children and pets away.


Article Posted In:  Useful Tips  

Categories: Homeowners InsuranceFinding DiscountsUseful TipsHome Owners Insurance by CityNews